A moderatly well-written account of a 20-something Canadian woman's experiences in the world. Be warned...this could get personal.

Monday, March 5, 2007

The Five Most Brutal Weeks Of My Life

Starting today, I shall be embarking on the five most brutal weeks of my life. Aside from maybe one night a week, in which I will allow myself to cut loose, and get wickedly intoxicated, I shall be spending the majority of my time in one of three places. The first place will be in class, the second place will be at work, and the third place will be the library. If I manage to squeeze in some social time (aside from the one night a week I am already going to allow myself) it will be a miracle. I don't see that happening. This is all the more reason why I simply cannot have any sort of solid relationship until AFTER I graduate in April. Unless of course I date a party animal that only wants to see me on my one-night-a-week-drunk-fest. But that kind of guy isn't going to want to date me. No, that kind of guy is more the type that will want to take advantage of the craziness that is me drunk. Heh heh.

Anyways.

If I think about things rationally for about two seconds, it becomes clear that I don't have THAT much work on my plate. I mean, I only have three major papers due at the end of March. That's not so bad, considering I have had semesters in which I had FIVE major papers due. So three SHOULD be a walk in the park. Key would being should. For some reason, it seems as if I am blowing everything out of proportion this semester. I mean, coursework-wise. I feel as if I have this massive, three-hundred pound elephant of work on my back. Maybe it's because this semester I am working, which I have never done before in my university career. I definitely took advantage of not having a job in previous years. School is such a walk in the park if you don't have a job. I mean, seriously. I had so much free time last year. The worst part is, I didn't even party last year. All I did was read OTHER books....like...non-school books. In my "spare" time. What the HELL was wrong with me!? I ask myself every day why I was such a geek prior to this summer.

I definitely thank my job at Roots for many things, first and foremost for giving me a LIFE. Ironically enough it is now sucking that life back out of me. Circle of life, eh?

I've decided that I am going to spend every waking moment not at work in the library. I'm going to geek-out, for the remainder of the semester. I need to hammer out this research, so that I can smash these papers out of the park. It is essential that I get decent marks on my papers, because I need to pass my courses, at the very least.

I've never worried about not passing before, but this semester is really out to get me. What with a 48% and a 55% respectively, I can't afford to slack. Not that I was before. I just obviously need to work hard. Or bitch more. Either or.

So at the moment, I am waiting my History as Film class to start. I've been people watching, and making some casual observations. First of all, almost everyone in this class comes in with a friend. I appear to be one of the only exceptions. I feel slightly out of place, because I'm this solitary chica, sitting off to the side (because that is where the power outlet is) typing away on my tiny laptop. My laptop seems to garner more attention that I myself do. People will look at it, and ask me questions about it, but fail to ask any about myself. How odd. I suppose as a person I am fairly mediocre anyways, whereas my laptop is a unique specimen. Eh. The people in front of me are talking about how they bombed the midterm too. I feel slightly better about myself now. I think everyone was taking this class as a joke, and it kind of shocked everyone to realize what a douchebag marker the professor was. I mean, honestly. It's a History as FILM class. FILM. Not the most scholarly source for ANYTHING. But the professor is this young gun with something to prove, and he seems to think that making the class hard makes him a better professor. Frankly, I think he's the biggest twat on the face of the planet, because it is so obvious that he's trying super hard to be this reputable professor. I mean, it is PAINFULLY obvious. Almost like Ross Geller on Friends, when he tries to be a professor and basically fails (because he's such a socially retarded moron). Same deal with this professor. Socially. Retarded.

Alright, well I suppose I should focus on the movie now. We're watching Rebel Without a Cause, and frankly I think James Dean is a dreamboat.

Cheers!

No comments: