A moderatly well-written account of a 20-something Canadian woman's experiences in the world. Be warned...this could get personal.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

On Apathetic Students

Well, I can officially say that the students have eaten my soul. Presently, I think they are digesting it, and are soon to pass it through their intestinal tract. Yes. I am going to be crapped out by my students, in due course.

That's how I feel, anyways; like absolute crap. I honestly have never, in my rather short teaching career (and this is factoring in all my practicum junk, and volunteer work I've done), experienced MULTIPLE classes of lazy, unimaginative, uninventive, uncaring students. I'm really doubting that this is JUST a coincidence either. I can't possibly have the only four classes of apathetic students. From what I've heard from other teachers, its a British phenomenon. It is appalling. I think I've explained before, briefly, about "coursework" over here. In case I haven't, I will give you a briefing; students are graded (in Years 10 and 11) based solely on coursework that they submit to an examination board, as well as a few written exams (the GCSEs). Teachers can assign the coursework, and mark drafts of it, but ultimately the final grades are not in their hands. I guess they think that students will be marked on more of a national scale if it's done by an "arbitrary" board of people, instead of "biased" teachers. There is, perhaps, SOME validity in this. However, I still remain skeptical. Anyways, Key Stage 4 (KS4) students are WELL aware of the fact that only the coursework and the exams matter. As such, any homework you assign in class is deemed as "useless", since it's not marked for anything that "matters". This is highly annoying, because I don't assign things unless they matter. Everything serves a greater purpose! I only assign work as a way to BUILD skills that they will need for the coursework or exam. When I try to explain this to the students, they shrug their shoulders, and tell me they'd rather take their chances, and not complete the homework. Of all the assignments I've given, only a select few have completed it all. These students are wonderful; I know they UNDERSTAND that it only aids them in the end. I wish them nothing but success, because they're well rounded, intelligent individuals. The majority of their classmates, however, are rude, ignorant wankers. It frustrates me to no end, that no matter HOW hard I try, they simply do not care.

While I take their indifference personally, I also think they're doing a HUGE disservice to THEMSELVES. I could honestly care less about their lack of respect for ME...it's the lack of respect that they are showing themselves and each other that REALLY gets to me. It's as if their greatest ambition in life is to get through doing the bare minimum; as if they aspire to go nowhere. Their lack of ambition is so frustrating. If I have ever spoken badly about children in Ontario, and their lack of commitment to education, I take it all back. Ontario has it right, in so many ways. Our children aren't nearly has apathetic as British children. I don't know if it's a cultural thing, or what. Frankly, I am very very surprised that more British people my age and older aren't complete assholes. The way their children act, you'd think they'd have learnt it from SOMEONE. Is laziness going to be the next big problem over here? With the current credit crunch, and layoffs, I wouldn't be surprised. At a time when people SHOULD be taking their education seriously, in order to avoid the financial pitfalls that seem apparent, it's even more heartbreaking to see the stance these children take to their education.

I've always said I've believed in lifelong learning. I fail to see how these students will ever catch the lifelong learning "bug". They can't even be bothered to learn NOW, let along on their own in the future.

It's literally crushing my desire to teach. I know. How bad is that?! Back home I had such passion for what I did. I LOVED teaching....here, I find that no matter HOW I try to switch up my lessons, they fall across closed minds. Nothing works. At least, not with my KS4 set. They stare at me with scorn in their eyes, and chatter away as if I wasn't even there. No matter how I try to pull them into the lessons, they constantly ignore me, or disrespect me. At the end of ever lesson with them, I feel drained of all my energy. They make me feel about as big as a flea, and just as effective. It's very depressing. I don't think there's been a day this week that I haven't had to fight back tears, after dealing with my 9s, 10s, and 11s. It takes everything in me to suck it up, and try again with the next class. I do it, but it's very very hard.

That said, my year 8s are everything I could have ever asked for. They get excited with my lessons, they produce excellent results, they partake in discussion.....I can only HOPE and PRAY that when they go into Year 9 they don't instantly change into the unmotivated 9s, 10s, and 11s that I have now. That would be enough to make me cry.

It helps that weekends I can unwind, and get drunk. I know that sounds really really bad, but honestly if I didn't have that vice, that break, that release, I would go insane. I'm not even ashamed to admit that every weekend I feel a VERY strong desire to get lost in the bubbly, happy feeling that accompanies booze. Don't get me wrong though. I don't drink to the point of stupidity. I just drink until everything is funny. Until I can forget how miserable my teaching life can be. I hope it gets better, because honestly, it's starting to really break me down. Maybe I need another release. Who the hell knows. Half term is coming up, that may help. A week to just unwind, in Scotland (or so goes the plan). A hug would also help. I think I've gone pretty much a full month, plus some, without any solid human contact. We could all use some affection, now and again! Just makes you feel nice!

What I wouldn't give to pick up my Gaber-baber (my kitty, Gabriel), and bury my nose in the soft fuzziness on the top of his head. Even just THAT would make me feel a million times better. Amazing how the littlest things can bring you comfort...

But anyways...I didn't really intend for this to be a bitch-fest, though that's clearly what it has become. I'm not absolutely miserable here. Please don't misinterpret what I'm saying. There are many moments, even during teaching (though mostly with my year 8s), that I truly consider myself lucky. Walking to the bank this afternoon, I was struck with the most profound sense of happiness, it it was solely because I realised I was a) in bloody England and b) I feel at home. So....things aren't all bad. I finally feel comfortable in England. I'm not as horribly home sick as I initially was (though I do miss a lot of people...some in particular more than I thought that I would....there are some I think about daily, which surprises me a LOT). Time is also flying by, which is nice...and also scary.

I should get back to work though, I've spent far too much time on this tonight.

Cheers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keep your spirits up!! This is just temporary. Keep doin' what you're doin'. You never know, you could knock some sense into those Brit kids and then they'll be like, "Hey, remember that super awesome Canadian teacher that kicked our asses?!? She rocked!"

-Andie xoxo