A moderatly well-written account of a 20-something Canadian woman's experiences in the world. Be warned...this could get personal.

Thursday, May 29, 2008

On Swooning Over British Boys and BMX'ers

So! Today I had my interviews for teaching in England. The first interview was with Protocol Education, and it went decent enough. It was in Newmarket, in this really seedy suite on Leslie Street. I was a bit apprehensive when I entered the building, wondering what exactly I was getting myself into. However, the girl that greeted me was quite nice. She took me into her office, and we went over my resume and practicum information, and she asked me some basic questions. It was a little weird, because there was on one from England actually there to see me, it was just this Canadian woman, filling in this form when I spoke. At the end, she told me that she didn't think there would be any problems "placing me" in England, and that she'd e-mail me with the next step (and subsequent forms to fill out). I left feeling much more at ease about the interview process, but not entirely at ease about the idea of working with this company.

The second interview was downtown Toronto, so we took the 404 into the city. It was a quick drive, and we got there with an hour and a half to spare. So we (my Mom and Pops) walked around downtown, and grabbed a bite to eat. I had a Shawarma, some Lebanese wrap thing, and it was bloody delicious. Mmmm. However, it left me with rather bad (re: garlic) breath. Good thing there is this invention called "gum". Saved my life ha ha ha.

For the second interview, I had to go to the Sutton Place hotel, on Bay Street. I walked in, and went to the front desk to announce my arrival. I was told to have a seat on one of the over sized chairs, so I plunked my ass down, and tried to sit like a dainty lady-in-waiting. After about 10 minutes, my British twin (I kid you not, this lady looked just like me, only with an accent and bangs) came and introduced herself to me. She then walked me into another room, with a large puffy couch, and two comfy chairs. Sitting on the couch was the most ravishingly handsome man I had ever laid eyes on. Not a word of a lie. Then he opened his mouth, and let loose the most glorious British accented voice I've ever heard. His name, he said, was Wayne. We had been in contact over the weeks via e-mail. My mind reeled.
THIS was the face, the voice, behind the e-mails? This young, beautiful, man?
He was dressed in a white and pink striped shirt, with dark dress pants, and a lovely blue silk tie. His hair was dark dark brown, as were his eyes. He had it done in a very stylish, messy do. All in all, he looked professional, yet young and edgy. He also had great shoes on. And a killer smile. I was in love.
He stood to shake my hand, and then asked me to have a seat.
The girl, my twin Rachel, told me she would "fetch" me when Derek(the headmaster from England) was ready, and then ran off leaving me with Wayne.
For about half an hour he ran through how their company worked, and what they did for teachers from other countries. I drank in every word he said, loving the idea of going to England more and more. He made it sound so amazing, so easy, and so fun. He also told me that teaching there was no walk in the park, but that he'd be there to help me through it every step of the way, with weekly calls and visits.
"SIGN ME UP" I wanted to say. I held back my enthusiasm though, because I didn't want to scare him off. I just simply nodded to everything he said, and added a few witty comments here and there.
Then Rachel came, and whisked me away for the actual interview.
As we walked into the room, I saw yet another couch, and two more chairs. It was a theme, it appeared. An adorable old man was reclined on the couch, looking as comfortable as pie. He rose to shake my hand, and we all sat down. Throughout the interview, I couldn't help but marvel at how seamlessly easy it was going. I wasn't at a loss for an answer at any point, and at everything I said, Derek seemed to nod and smile as if I was speaking the word of God. At the end of the interview, he asked me if I had any questions for him. Of course I did! I had one great one.
"What, in your opinion, makes a successful teacher in England? What are you looking for?" I asked.
Without skipping a beat he replied, "I haven't a doubt in the world that you would make a successful teacher in my school, or any other in the U.K. I can honestly say that you would flourish in my school, and I have no doubts at all about your ability to be a success. You'd do wonderful things in England."
I was at a total loss of words. I thanked him profusely, and told him it was my pleasure to meet him, and it would be my pleasure to work for him, or any other headmaster, in England, should they want me. We shook hands, and I parted company.
Rachel took me back down to Wayne, who talked with me briefly again. He told me he would be in touch (ooo second date? ha ha ha, jokes), and wished me a safe journey home.

So, suffice it to say, I see England in my very near future. They told me to expect a call in a week or so. We shall see how it goes. Obviously I will keep you posted.

In other news, things with K are going fairly well. I have had a few girly moments of doubt, which are totally unfounded. Last weekend he invited me out with him and his friends, which went fabulously. Then last Saturday was his "guys night out". They went to the Turkey Point Hotel. I wasn't expecting to hear from him, but at 2 a.m. my phone rang. It was K! I was so excited, because a drunk dial at least means they're thinking about you! But it was better than that! They were coming to my HOUSE! My brother was having a Prom after party, and they figured they would crash it. So he came, and we chilled, and it was great. As they went to leave, he snuck me to the side of the log cabin.
"I couldn't leave without kissing you goodbye!" he said.
I melted! So we had a quick smooch-fest, and then I walked him to his car, and they all departed.

Tonight, we were texting back and forth. It was mostly harmless banter, about how his van had broken down. Don't laugh. He has a van because he is a pro BMXer, which means he has to have a vehicle to get the bike from place to place. Anyways, the steering is all messed up, so he has to use his dad's truck for awhile. I told him that one day I want a truck, because they are sexy. He replied by saying they ARE sexy, but they are expensive.
"Yah, but I will be making the big bucks" I said.
"Not me!" he replied.
"That's why you have to find yourself a sugar mama"
"I already have one"
"See? You're golden!"
"Do you even know who I am talking about?" he asked.
DUUUH! I thought...but decided to play along with it.
"No, is she smokin hot? She better be hot!" I said.
"Yah, she's hawt. Some teacher or something"
And so on and so forth. It was tres adorable, and was just what I needed. Lately I've been feelin as if he's kind of friend-vibing me. I don't want to be friended. Not yet.

He's so damn sexy. If I go to England, I am going to miss that boy. Maybe.

Cheers!

No comments: