A moderatly well-written account of a 20-something Canadian woman's experiences in the world. Be warned...this could get personal.

Monday, July 28, 2008

On Doing Something Socially Awkward...Or Rather SomeONE

Friday night I decided to get good and drunk about life, and the shitty curve balls it has thrown at me lately. So I invited a bunch of people out to drink on my back patio, and for the first time in ages EVERYONE that I invited came! It was actually quite nice, and despite my initial plan to not get drunk...I got shit faced. Eventually, like every other Friday night, the gang decided to head downtown. We skipped going to the Mug, and went right to the Royal too, which is a rare occurrence. It was fairly busy, and got busierwith every passing moment. I grabbed myself a Rum and Coke, found a place to sit, and proceeded to get more drunk about life with my friends. Christine and Paul, who are now officially a couple, sat with me the majority of the time, while everyone else mingled and smoked, respectively. At one point I convinced Christine and Paul to come dance with me...which is a sure sign that I'm wobbled beyond repair. After sweating it out dancing, I decide to go pee. Christine comes with me, and tells me that Paul has told her he loves her. I am so so happy for her, since she deserves that more than ANYONE right now (a decent man who loves her, and worships the ground she walks on). However, it also highlights how fucked over I got, with my twenty-year old experiment. Their relationship, which started over a one night stand, has unexpectedly turned into a very real relationship, while what I had initially hoped would be a relationship with K has turned out to be a total sham. I had a five second pout about it, as I was peeing, and then resolved to not let it bother me anymore. I came out of the stall, slapped on a happy face, and decided to get even more drunk about it.

Walking out of the bathroom, I saw a guy I went to high school with out of the corner of my eye. His first name isn't important right now...but his last name certainly is. If you read the titles of these posts, you'll notice that this one is about doing someONE socially awkward. It doesn't get much more socially awkward than doing someONE with the same last name as you. Which is what I did.

Now. Before you start freaking out and throwing up...I can assure you, 100%, that this boy and I are not related. At all. When I first met him in grade 8, I had a mega crush on him, and I blatantly came home and asked my Dad to see our family tree. Then I asked him if we were at all related to this boy. He laughed at me, and told me that we have ZERO relatives in this area, and that NO, we are not related to this kids family, unless it was eons and eons ago. I can't stress this enough...WE ARE NOT RELATED. We just share a last name. Think of it this way...there's an awful lot of Smith's out there, and they aren't all related. It wouldn't be that much of a stretch for a Smith and a Smith to meet and fall in love. Hell, my Mom has a friend whose last name is Reed, and she met and married a guy whose last name is also Reed. They conducted a full family study before they even had sex, but they made sure they weren't related. They weren't, and neither am I and this guy.

Regardless, you can understand how it would be a tad socially awkward for people to find out that we messed around. Anyways, now that I got THAT out of the way, I can finish my story.

So I noticed him, and noticed that he noticed me. We've ran into each other a bunch of times since I've moved back home, and he was always quite friendly to me, always coming over to say "hello". Since I suffer from ugly duckling syndrome (I was ugly in high school, and am not now), my ego really eats up people like him coming and being nice to me. It just makes me feel like a better person, because I escaped high school and turned into this desirable woman. Anyways, I digress. Like all the times before that night, he came up to me and said "hi". In fact, he choose a moment when I happened to be sitting alone at the table. He came over and sat in one of the empty chairs, and enquired as to why I was sitting alone. So we chatted it up, and he eventually offered to buy me a drink. I accepted, of course. We continued chatting until I saw Christine talking to the Cadman kid. If you knew the history behind Cadman and Christine, you'd have been horrified to see them talk.
Her man, Pauly, was looking rather worried about the chatting that was taking place, so I asked him if he wanted me to go break it up.
"Would you?" he asked me.
"Damn right I will!" I said. Then I turned to the boy.
"I gotta go break that up" I said to the boy, "Wanna come help me?"
"Fuck yah I do," he said.
So we went up, and chatted up Christine and Cadman, while I worked on pulling her away from his toxic grasp. After I succeeded in getting her back into Pauls arms, I stood standing with the boy awhile, talking and generally flirting.

Thats when I noticed, out of the corner of my eye, K's best guy friend come sauntering into the bar from one of the side doors. I held my breath, hoping and praying that K wouldn't follow him in. My prayers were not answered, as K quickly followed his buddy into the bar. My spirits sank considerably, but my brain acted much quicker. I changed my body language instantly, touching the boys arm while I giggled seductively at something he said. I think put on my coyest smile, and glanced up at him from under my bangs. It worked.
"You know what I think you should do? I think you should come back to my buddies place with me..." he said.
"I don't think I can," I purred back, "I have to work in the morning."
"I'll drive you home whenever you want. You gotta be up at 7 or something? I can do that!"
"No...I just have to be home for 10," I said.
"Shit, ten is nothing. I can get you home for ten..."
"Well...alright..." I say.
He grabs my hand, all smiles now.
"Alright, lets not waste any time!"
We walk back to the table, so that I can grab my purse.
K is sitting at the table directly beside the one I was at. I look at him, and see that he was already looking at me.
"Hey Krista!" he says. He has that look on his face, like he wants me to join him. His stupid grin, that used to win me over every weekend before this one. He gives his head a shake, and his bangs flutter out from over his eyes.
Ignoring all this, I grab my bag, and merely wave at him. Then I turn around, take the other boys hand, and say "I'm ready!"

In retrospect, I must admit that some of the courage that allowed me to accept his indecent proposal was spurned on by seeing K walk into the bar. I wanted so badly for him to see me with this other guy. I wanted him to get jealous, and I wanted him to know that he wasn't in control. If he was thinking that he could date other chicks, while I waited around for him to call me for sex, he had another thing coming. I wanted him to know he wasn't the only one that could wheel.

Well, he certainly knows now.

The next day I get a text message from him.
"So you went back with another guy eh?
"Naw!" I said.
"That's not what I heard"
"Yah, well people talk a lot of shit. I heard you were on a date at Boston Pizza and I didn't give two shits"
"I was on a date was fun" he says.
This text really makes me laugh, because it becomes painfully obvious to me at this point that he is SUPER bothered by the fact that I went home with another guy. So much so, that he thought making a comment like that would hurt me. Oh, how wrong he was.
"Ha ha! Well then what's the problem?" I ask.
"Nothing. It's not like we're dating, we're just buddies, right?" he replies.
"Exactly, dude!" I say back, chill as fuck.

The best thing is, I finally feel like I won. I have absolutely no feelings for K, and I haven't for weeks. Not since the whole mono fiasco. I love that he was bothered, because it shows that, despite everything, he did like me. He might deny it, but his text message proves it. I contemplated texting him when I found out he was on a date, but I didn't, because I realized I didn't care. He must care, otherwise why would he have texted? I won, and it feels amazing to know it.

By the way, even though it has socially awkward undertones, the sex with the other boy was amazing. Even he commented that it should happen again. I must really know how to throw it down. It helped that he had a fucking amazing body. He was also the first hockey player I've banged, and one of many ego trip fucks I've had. Going back to the ugly duckling syndrome, he's just another guy from high school that I can add to the "wouldn't have fucked me in high school, but loves my life now" checklist. It just makes me feel so good inside, when these kinds of boys gush about how gorgeous I am now. I know it's a little bit pathetic, on my part, to get off on that crap, but it really does do wonders for my self esteem.

Well,I guess that is enough for one night.

Cheers!

No comments: